Re: Years later, kmail still is not a viable email client?

Akondi is a monster that drove me away from KDE. If you do not have the latest greatest machine and multitask, Akondi will bring your machine to it's knees, then flog it, then draw and quarter your memory resources, grind your hard drive into dust, then chew up the remains. I had to switch to Trinity to get back a usable machine. So I will strongly beg to differ with your statement about Akondi being spoken of in any sort of positive manner.

First on principle. The integrated PIM is mostly obsolete. Phones today have the CPU horsepower desktops had back when KDE 3 was embarked upon. A phone is a natural place to do contact management. Getting ISPs to continue support for POP3 & IMAP is like pulling teeth and when you do get support you gat ONE email address. So realistically if you want to do old school client server email you basically need a domain and a server where you control your email or you live alone without children. A dedicated domain and server is out of the cost range of most people. So webmail is really the only option for most people. I have email lists of 100+ people and might maybe have 1 or 2 people on those lists not using webmail. Those that do not are using work accounts usually.

So what value is there in apparently doubling the memory footprint of KDE for something 90% of the folks do not even use?  Doing so precludes using older machines. Which is the bulk of Linux users and one of the great draws of Linux. That is you don't have to go buy a new spiffy high end machine every couple of years just to do what you were doing just fine on an older machine.  Akondi is increased resource demands with little to no value and turns a high end machine into a single tasking device that doesn't even match up to what your phone can do in those areas. I do not need 8 gigs of RAM on a phone to manage contacts. 4 gigs is simply not enough for a machine running Akondi. Not and actually multitask.

KDE 4, I disable Akondi, 4 gigs of RAM on this machine. 2 gigs fo RAM on 2 other machines running KDE 4 with Akondi disabled. Worked great. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS goes out of support. I have to upgrade to 16.04 and KDE 5 and my 2 Gig machines barely boot. My 4 Gig machine acts like I'm running WIn 95. It's constantly freezing. Locking up so tight I can't even SSH in. I have to power off at times to get it to come back after literally hours of just churning. I put Trinity on those machines they work great again. Hell even Gnome gave me better performance than KDE 5. I'm running 20.04 on one machine using Trinity and all good. XFCE also runs rine as a desktop manager. KDE has become the rich man's desktop as the poor cannot afford the hardware to use KDE anymore.  I've been using KDE for my desktop manager since the 90s. I really like KDE, but it has become windoze like in hardware demands and performance. There's a reason I dumped windoze in 2000 and never looked back. KDE is now causing the same problems that caused me to dump windoze 20 years ago.