Re: slow graphics when laptop display is disabled

On Monday, May 11, 2020 12:24:37 AM CEST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Sunday May 10 2020 23:35:27 test wrote:
> >I would need a magnifying glass if the screen was that small ;)
>
> I just take off my glasses :)

I'd have to put it too far away ...

> >Besides, setting up xfreerdp is a somewhat annoying task ...
>
> VNC, not RDP!

Sorry, I meant xrdp --- xrdp can be used with a vnc viewer, or rdesktop or
xfreerdp.

> Tigervnc comes with a simple but well-working server to mirror
> your display to a VNC client (which it also provides and which I find works
> better than KDE's krdc). It doesn't seem to depend on freerdp AFAICT.

I'm not sure if that's easier --- and why shouldn't I use the second monitor
which I have around anyway.

> >Well, any device to switch USB devices between multiple computers that
> >doesn't make sure that the devices keep their settings would be entirely
> >useless.
> IMHO, an OS that doesn't do this is almost equally useless..

I wouldn't want my OS to re-partition an USB disk every time I plug it in in
order to make sure it keeps its settings.  Perhaps I want different repeat
rates and delays for each keyboard I have when I "switch" keyboards --- and is
it possible for a computer to distinguish one keyboard from another?  So far,
they still even haven't made keyboards that tell the computer how many keys
they have.  I have a collection between 101 or what it was (102?), 105 and 122
keys (or so), and I have always been too lazy to count the keys.  So I keep a
bunch of .Xmodmap around, one for each keyboard ...

Anyway, someone suggested a software called "barrier".  I tried it yesterday,
and works great: https://github.com/debauchee/barrier.git

It's one of the softwares everyone should know about ...