From: "René J.V. Bertin" <rjvbertin@xxxxxxxxx>
To: kde@xxxxxxxxxxxx; "m@xxxxxxxxx" <m@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 2/5/2020 4:39:18 PM
Subject: Re: Is KDE desktop able to automatically fit the constantly changing display size?

On Friday May 01 2020 09:16:24 m@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi everyones,

I am running KDE plasma with a remote X11 server. If I resize the remote
display, expand it for example, desktop and panel will not adjust their
size as expected

Normally you don't resize remote displays, you change their resolution ;)

My Plasma4 desktop adapted perfectly well to changes in monitor size, and I think what little experience I have with Plasma5 desktops (in a VM) is the same, though it may have taken multiple visits to the display/monitor KCM to get that to work. In particular, I am pretty certain I had to use xrandr to add the desired screen resolution to the list of available options because I think that doesn't (always) happen automatically.

I don't have experience getting a remote or a VM session to react to display changes made by resizing the session's window on the client; for VNC I just stick with whatever resolution the host uses, and with VMs I set the resolution via the VM software. If you're trying to do this kind of thing I'd suggest you check in the display KCM if KDE sees your current screen resolution and if it isn't somehow set to use a fixed resolution.

BTW, what happens when you resize down to a standard resolution like 1024x728?

R.