Re: Yet another failed KDE release?

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Ingo Malchow <imalchow@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 21. März 2013, 20:47:12 schrieb dE .:
> [...]
> >
> > if
> >
> > > it continues these 6 months feature focused release cycles.
> > >
> > > This mailing list is full of rants and complains and the KDE teams
> > > doesnt
> > > give a damn.
> >
> > This is a KDE user support list. By nature you won't find posts like "Hey,
> > plasma is working, can you help me?"...
> > But seriously, complaints are always the loudest. Personally i am running
> > KDE
> > *with* semantic desktop and kdepim, and it works very smooth. Note, this
> > is
> > personal experience in my own workflow and machine. This doesn't reflect
> > any
> > other situation. Do i ever write to such a list about my happyness with
> > it?
> > No. Happy users only rarely write something to mailinglists about thanking
> > the
> > devs.
> > So even if this list is full of complaints, and - let's say - there are
> > around
> > 10 rants per month, nothing else, how does it compare to some million kde
> > users worldwide? not at all. Hope you get the point.
>
> There ain't many bug related complaints about Xfce -- it's a lot more
> stable. I personally hardly found any bugs while using it.
>
> > > Again --
> > >
> > > We DON'T want features pouring@speed of light, we need STABILITY so KDE
> >
> > can
> >
> > > be _used_ by *common* people.
> > >
> > > Increase the release cycles to 2 years, or don't have ANY such time
> > > limiting goals; i.e. wait for the new release to become stable enough,
> >
> > and
> >
> > > provide bug backports for the current stable release.
> > >
> > > Is Novel listening? I wonder how they manage with KDE.
> > >
> > > This mail is for sake of the project, not for MY personal frustrations
> >
> > with
> >
> > > KDE. I deploy Xfce anyway.
> >
> > It pretty much sounds like frustrations. You take your own unstable system
> > for
> > a global issue. Believe me, it is not. Neither do i say, as my system is
> > highly stable every other system is as well.
> > As you said you do report bugs, which is highly appreciated. But like with
> > all
> > bugs, they need to be reproducable, else they are hard to fix. The more
> > useful
> > information the better.
>
> I'd the same issue with Debian testing; also distros wont upgrade to the
> latest 'stable' KDE; they usually wait for the last bug fix release, or
> even skip a whole major release.
>
> Speaking of which KDE maybe an attractive option on Debian stable, cause
> the bugs wont increment (with major versions) there.
>
> You're basically trying to say here, I shouldn't complaint; and this's
> exactly why the project is in such a horrible state. The reason why I'm
> complaining is cause I want the situation to improve -- so does everyone

I am quite fine with complaints, and yes, constructive criticism drives a
project forward. Only that you shouldn't think that when you see bugs everyone
else sees them as well, because...

> The moment you open upgraded the KDE desktop you see bugs.

... i did not see any showstopper bugs after upgrade. It just works.

Ingo Malchow

And the inverse is also true, if you don't see bugs, doesn't mean bugs don't exist.

KDE is used on different distros and hardware, with different backends; maximum of which should be tested before deployment.