Re: kde Digest, Vol 83, Issue 12

On Sunday 21 February 2010 16:58:15 Sue Harris wrote:
> While I would like to update the old versions to newer versions, I am no
> longer in contact with the person who installed ArkLinux and KDE on the
> computer and I am not sufficiently versed in Linux or KDE to accomplish
> this task myself.
>

> It looks like I have plenty of disk space:
> /dev/sda2              32G  9.2G   23G  29% /
> /dev/sda3             200G  160G   41G  80% /home
> none                 1014M     0 1014M   0% /dev/shm
>

> results of 'wget path-to-firefox-update' in konsole
> Resolving path-to-firefox-update... failed: Name or service not known.
> wget: unable to resolve host address `path-to-firefox-update'
>

> I was able to download firefox-3.6.tar.bz2 using Konqueror, but now I don't
> know what to do with the file. How do I install the new version?
>
> Thanks for all your feedback,

Sue, have you ever installed Windows?  Installing Linux is easier than
installing Windows, or at least as easy.  I'd seriously suggest that you need
a more up to date distro.  One easy way is to download a live disc and install
from that.  Naturally that does quite a light install, and you then use the
on-line updates to get all the other applications you want.  If you don't have
anyone handy to support you I'd recommend Mandriva as a good distro.  Their
'One' is a live CD from which you can install.  Their Mandriva Control Center
has gui tools for just about everything you need to do.  And you will get a
good recent Firefox into the bargain.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group