Re: Bear in mind that we do NOT receive our own posts (Re: Lost mails)

I am on multiple mailing lists and the default behavior is to receive your own email also.  I personally like it as obviously do many others or it would not be the default on most mailing lists.  I also use mailman in our corporate office and we do the same thing.

On 8/28/07, Boyan Tabakov <blade.alslayer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday 29 August 2007 02:39:46 Clinton E. Troutman wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 August 2007, Stephen Dowdy wrote:
> > > This might be significant...
> > > I have my several GMail accounts all set to the ALL messages POP mode.
> >
> > Probably. And i wonder if you set your POP mode to "new only", if you'd
> > stop seeing your maillist postings getting downloaded. IIRC, POP Mode
> > "New Only" only pulls down stuff in Inbox that's newer than the running
> > timestamp. From the Help center note, that message won't be in the Inbox
> > anymore, but will be in the All-Mail box.
>
> It occurs to me that, when set to "new only", GMail may equate the incoming
> message to a message that already exists in the Sent Mail folder thus
> causing the incoming message to be marked something other than "new"...
>
> Could be an interesting investigation...
>
> I suspect the Official Help Center Message translates to "we don't know
> what's going on so, instead of spending too much time on it, let's put
> something in the FAQ".
> - Folks receiving the expected behavior would not look at the FAQ
> - Folks not receiving the expected behavior would say "Oh..." and not
> submit a help request
>
> After all, IIRC, GMail is still "by invitation only" and considered (by
> Google) to be a service still in Beta.

Hi all,

Excuse me, but why do you actually want to receive your own posts? You posted
those, so you already have them? The only reason I can think of is if trying
to use separate accounts for sending the mail and receiving the mailing list
posts. But if you are doing so, you are likely to have a mail client and thus
eliminating the issue.

I use (as you may see) a gmail account for this mail. I use KMail. When I send
a mail from KMail, I can save the sent mail whereever I want, so that I don't
need to get it back from the mailing list. If I send a mail through gmail's
web interface (which I mostly don't do), I can download that mail via POP.

Maybe I don't understand the issue correctly and if so, please excuse me and
clarify...

Best regards

--
Blade hails you...

I was born amidst the purple waterfalls.
I was weak, yet not unblessed.
Dead to the world. Alive for the journey.
                              --Nightwish