Re: Bear in mind that we do NOT receive our own posts (Re: Lost mails)

On Tuesday 28 August 2007, Stephen Dowdy wrote:
> Have you ever tried using your mail client to send an e-mail to your
> gmail account and then try to retrieve it?

I'm assuming here that you mean:
- send a message from my home machine through GMail's SMTP server(s) using a
GMail account "identity" to be received by that same GMail address used
when composing the message.

Nope, never considered that scenario... however, as I consider it now...

- I compose a message to a list using a GMail account "identity"
- I send that message to the list using GMail's SMTP server(s)
- When the list sends "my" message "back", it is then successfully retrieved
from GMail by my local fetchmail

The difference in the two scenarios being that the message has passed
through the maillist's server(s)...

> The message ends up in the INBOX at gmail, but will NEVER POP download.
>
> But i use the POP mode where only NEW messages are downloaded.  I believe
> there's a timestamping bug (they use a timestamp that appears to be
> related to the last POP connection time.  It seems that this variable
> may also be updated the last time you LOGIN to do the SMTP send as well,
> so you never see your uploaded message from a remote client.

This might be significant...
I have my several GMail accounts all set to the ALL messages POP mode.

--
Clinton E. Troutman
CeTro