Re: Getting KDE to refresh menus

On Thursday 15 December 2005 01:46, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> > start kicker in a console window to see its output
>
> Not a single line of debug output. But it seems that kded is the one
> handling this information. It pops up on 'top' just before kbuildsycoca
> (on additions, where it works).

of course, because all the action happens in kded and kbuildsycoca. kicker is
just a consumer of the data published in the sycoca (SYstem COnfiguration
CAche)

> I got a tip from Aaron Seigo (through Inge Wallin) which solves the
> problem, but still indicates something funky with KDE or Fedora. If I
> set the XDG_ environment variables, then everything works fine. It also
> continues to work fine once I remove them.

it will only continue to work fine until you install a new piece of software,
change your menu layout, or somehow otherwise invalidate the data in the
sycoca. at that point it will be regenerated and you'll be back to where you
started =)

> Aaron said these were required by the XDG standard, but that isn't the
> case so I'm starting so suspect that KDE makes some false assumptions
> here. (I haven't gotten hold of Aaron yet to comment on this.)

the only time you don't need those variables set is when everything is stored
within the installation prefix. if the XDG variables are set, the also
override that default IIRC. in any case, most distributions scatter the data
between /etc and $PREFIX and who knows where else. this is one of the
"features" of the new system but it makes it a lot more fragile, as can be
seen.

> It does seem strange to me that KDE can find the directory, but not
> monitor it, without the environment variables. All or nothing would seem
> more reasonable. :)

knowing how your system is set up a bit better would be useful (i'm sure
you've tolkd Inge and kde@xxxxxxx, but i'm privy to neither email
addresses ;). in particular: what is you `kde-config --prefix`, where was
the .desktop file in question stored (full path), what does `set | grep XDG`
give you?

i looked at the code this morning as i promissed Inge i would. seems we set
watches only on the KStdDir dirs, and not the XDG ones as well unless those
env vars are set. which might cause the behaviour you are seeing. i'm going
to hunt down waldo and chat with him about it as this is his code.

(please CC me; i'm not on the list)

--
Aaron J. Seigo