Getting KDE to refresh menus

I'm working on getting some nice desktop integration of our product, and
as part of that I'm trying to get the application to show up on the
menu. If I do this by the book, putting icons in
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/*/apps, touching the top-dir and place a
.desktop file in /usr/share/applications then it works immediatly in
GNOME. KDE isn't so automatic and I can't find a reliable way to do it.

kbuildsycoca refreshes the menu and gets KDE to pick up any changes. But
most users will do a su in a console when installing the package, so it
will refresh root's menu, not the current user (or any other users
currently logged on).

Is there a reliable way to get all running KDE instances to pick up
changes to the desktop files?

Rgds
--
Pierre Ossman                Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00
Cendio AB                    Web: http://www.cendio.com