Re: System Notifications on Upgraded KDE 3.4

Hello Philip!

I upgraded KDE 3.3 to version 3.4 without any problems. I am running Suse 9.2 Pro. I am able to play any sounds files I wish without any problems and I also get the test sounds generated by the Control Centre. I do not however have audible system notifications anymore (i.e. like sounds played when switching between virtual desktops or when KDE starts up or shuts down).

KDE is in the process of switching every system sound to the OGG file format. I had the same problem once, too. Some sounds were played while others were not. I am not using arts because my soundcard supports hardware mixing so I set up KDE to use the programm aplay (from ALSA) to play all system sounds. Unfortunately aplay can only play WAVE files. So aplay was called for OGG files, too. I guess your problem is similar.

I've written a little bash script which can be called instead of aplay. It decides which program to used based on the filetype. It works with WAVE, OGG and MP3:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-288701-highlight-.html

You may want to try this.

--
Sven Jacobs