System Notifications on Upgraded KDE 3.4

I upgraded KDE 3.3 to version 3.4 without any problems. I am running Suse 9.2 Pro. I am able to play any sounds files I wish without any problems and I also get the test sounds generated by the Control Centre. I do not however have audible system notifications anymore (i.e. like sounds played when switching between virtual desktops or when KDE starts up or shuts down).

Any ideas on how to fix this?
Philip