Re: Different window manager

Stephan Matthiesen wrote:
Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 29. April 2004 14:04 schrieb Martin Fahrendorf:

Am Donnerstag, 29. April 2004 13:51 schrieb Stephan Matthiesen:

..

question: How do I add an item in the KDE Display Manager (login
screen)?

SessionTypes=default,kde,twm,wmaker,failsafe,gnome

kdm of KDE3.2 no longer uses these line (my experience). Look at $KDEDIR/share/apps/kdm/sessions. there are all definitions of available windows manager. With TryExec kdm checks whether the window manager is available (and adds it into his list). on login kdm starts the Exec entry (in the *.desktop files).

Thanks for your help - that pointed me in the right direction. But there is a bit more to it: Actually all the *desktop files were there and contained the correct Exec and TryExec entries, but that didn't work.

I had to copy the relevant *.desktop files from /usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions into /usr/share/xsessions and now it works as it should.

Apparently this directory is now used by both KDM and GDM. The changelog 3.1.5->3.2. mentions:
KDM: More sophisticated session definitions, common with GDM and GDM uses /usr/share/xsessions
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2003-September/msg00102.html)

The location is also configurable in 'kdmrc':

[X-*-Core]

SessionsDirs=/usr/share/config/kdm/sessions

This can be a path with more than one directory.

--
JRT