Re: Different window manager

Am Donnerstag, 29. April 2004 13:51 schrieb Stephan Matthiesen:
> Hi,
>
> Ocasionally I want to use windowmaker instead of KDE. I've managed to
> install it and run it with a suitable ~/.xsession file. Now the
> question: How do I add an item in the KDE Display Manager (login
> screen)?
>
> Apperently it is not possible to do that from the Control Panel?
> If I understand the kdmrc manual correctly
> (http://docs.kde.org/en/3.2/kdebase/kdm/kdmrc.html)
> the menu items are defined in the following line in
> /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc (also linked in /etc/kdm/kdm)
>
> SessionTypes=default,kde,twm,wmaker,failsafe,gnome

kdm of KDE3.2 no longer uses these line (my experience). Look at
$KDEDIR/share/apps/kdm/sessions. there are all definitions of available
windows manager. With TryExec kdm checks whether the window manager is
available (and adds it into his list). on login kdm starts the Exec
entry (in the *.desktop files).

> However, with this line I only get the Session types "Default",
> "Custom", "KDE" and "Failsafe" at the login screen. No twm, wmaker or
> gnome to select from. Whatever I tried, I always geht the same choice
> of session types.
>
> What else do I have to set?
>
> Im using Fedora 1, KDE 3.2.2., and the KDE Display Manager
> I have switchdesk, and a correct
> /usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.wmaker file.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> Cheers
> Stephan

Martin
H E L I X Gesellschaft für Software & Engineering mbH
Hanauer Landstraße 52            Telefon +49 (69) 4789 35-30
D-60314 Frankfurt am Main        Telefax +49 (69) 4789 35-44
http://www.helix-gmbh.net                info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx