Re: Changing KDE 3.2 menus

I edit the menu files manually. I use RH9 and the files that have to be edited are:

  1. /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu which is an XML file that I edit
     using Quanta Plus but you can use any XML editor provided you use
     the correct dtd file (attached). Make sure every menu entry here
     will have a uniqu category rule.
  2. The .directory files in /usr/share/desktop-directories.
  3. The .desktop files in /usr/share/applications/ and below
     (sometimes other desktop files are included, you can see which
     files are included in the applications.menu XML file). In the
     .desktop file it is important to assiciate the Category directive
     to the appropriate one in the XML file.

Also note that the changes do not take effect immediately. Sometimes you will have to logout other times you will have to remove the cache files in /var/tmp/kdecache-USERNAME.
If you made any changes in the menu using kmenuedit then those changes might conflict with the editing operations just described. I suggest that you undo all user level menu editing by simply removing all the files in ~/.config and ~/.local/share/applications

Installing KDE form PMSs will overwrite your changes. You'd better back them up.
I don't have experience with installing KDE from source, I intend to do it in a short while.

Waldo Bastian wrote:

-- Thanks.

David Harel,

Home office +972 4 6921986