Re: Mp3 sound notification does not work

HD wrote:
I am using KDE 3.2 with Fedora Core 1 and have downloaded some MP3 notification sounds from KDE-Look.org. I have installed them according to the instructions on that site but they will not play. The default wav notification sounds work just fine.... but I wanted something a little different. I can play the MP3 sounds using xmms (after installing it from xmms.org since the one that comes with FC1 will not play MP3), Kplayer and Mplayer but not with Noatun or Kaboodle. Is there something I can do to fix this?

Sorry but, there is no MP3 support on RedHat/Fedora.

However, you can install LAME. You can probably find an RPM to download from somewhere outside of the USA.

http://www.idiap.ch/~sanders/not_lame/notlame-3.92-1.i686.rpm

Note that this is not 100% legal. Personally, I would be glad to purchase an individual license for $2.50 but they don't seem to want to accept the money:

http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html

LAME will decode an MP3 file to a WAV file. You can then OGG encode if you want.

--
JRT