Re: [Announcement] io_uring Discord chat

On 17 mai 17:52, David Wei wrote:
> On 2024-05-17 15:24, Mathieu Masson wrote:
> [...]
> > Not to start any form of chat platform war, but the rust-for-linux community has
> > been using Zulip for a while now. At some point they made the full message
> > history live accessible without an account :
> >
> > https://rust-for-linux.zulipchat.com/
>
> This looks and feels more like a chat/forum hybrid with discussion
> threads etc. I strictly prefer chat's lower friction but understand that
> it makes it difficult to archive vs threads.
>
> How are the threads created? Is it done at the start by the author? Or
> can someone just type and start a convo in a generic stream e.g.
> Filesystems, then an admin later groups the discussion?

Yes that is exactly like that. It's a forum hybrid, akin to what Teams is
nowadays, all conversation are tied under a topic. It's at the start of a
conversation that an author starts a thread yeah, by choosing a title for it and
the stream in which it'll take place. This seems to be the trend among chat
platforms nowadays, to have everything under threads. Not that I particulary
like it but it has its advantages. If you want a more broader view, you can
combine streams, and there is even a "recent conversation" view that combines
unseen conversations from all streams.

I guess discord originating more in the gaming world kept the pure chat
approach. If we want something more lower friction discord is the way to go.
(I'd say IRC but I see in another message Jens said it's a no go).