Re: [bug report] adlp_tc_phy_connect [i915] floods logs with drm_WARN_ON(tc->mode == TC_PORT_LEGACY) call traces

On Wed, 24 Jul 2024 21:30:00 +0300 Imre Deak wrote:

[...]
> Thanks for the logs.

Thanks to you for looking into them!
By the way, I have just upgraded the Linux kernel, but the
issue stays the same:

  $ uname -srvmo
  Linux 6.9.10-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.9.10-1 (2024-07-19) x86_64 GNU/Linux

> The VBT claims that the laptop has 1 USB-C

which I think it has (and dmidecode seems to see it)...

> and 3 legacy DP connectors (the latter 3 being a bit odd on a laptop,
> even if not impossible).

Do you mean that I should see 3 external DisplayPort connectors?
I really cannot spot them.
I cannot see any set of three identical connectors on the "outer
surface" of the laptop case, actually.

However, the graphics software stack sees them, as confirmed by
the output of 'xrandr' (attached).

Could they be internal (unused) connectors?

Or maybe they are not really present in the hardware, and the Linux
kernel wrongly thinks they are there, because of some bug...?
Could this happen?!?

> The DMI in BIOS says:
>
> DMI: Notebook NLxxPUx/NLxxPUx, BIOS 1.07.09 11/17/2023
>
> for which I can't find the particular system to check the actual
> configuration. Could you point to the laptop vendor/model's page or
> describe what are the connectors on it?

The label on the bottom of the laptop case says:

  MODEL: NL41PU

and

  PRODUCT CODE: NL41PU2

According to the same label, the brand should be [Clevo].

[Clevo]: <https://clevo-computer.com/en/>

I bought the laptop from an Italian shop which, among other things,
assembles customized laptops, that can be configured through
a web [configurator] (unfortunately, it seems that the website
is in Italian only...).

[configurator]: <https://syspack.com/configuratoreNotebook.php>

The notebook that I selected (along with other components) is
identified as "Work14 i5-1235U DDR4 M.2 14" FullHD"
The provided description (translated into English by me) is attached.

I think the Clevo NL41PU laptop is the same as the one
described [here].

[here]: <https://laptopwithlinux.com/product/clevo-nl41/>

> Could you check if there is a BIOS upgrade available?

Following from the Clevo [support] site, I think I found
the relevant download server [folder], but it seems to me that
there is no upgrade later than "1.07.09 11/17/2023"...
Actually, I cannot even see that version, which is awkward.
Maybe I am misunderstanding something...   :-(
Or maybe not: I have also asked the shop about possible BIOS upgrades,
and they replied to me that there are no BIOS upgrades yet for that
model, as far as they can tell.

[support]: <https://clevo-computer.com/en/support-drivers>
[folder]: <https://my.hidrive.com/share/yze8mg-wf8#$/BIOS%20and%20EC%20Firmware/CLEVO/N_Series/NLxxx/NLxxPxx/NL4xPUx>

> Please follow up
> on the gitlab issue as Jani suggested.

I had reported the bug to the Debian BTS (Bug Tracking System), where
I was told to report the bug upstream, by contacting developers/mailing
lists.
Now on this mailing list, I am being told to report the issue on
gitlab.freedesktop.org (which requires to register an account, in order
to report issues)... Having to jump through all these hoops is beginning
to be a little time consuming...   :-(

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 There's not a second to spare! To the laboratory!