Re: [bug report] adlp_tc_phy_connect [i915] floods logs with drm_WARN_ON(tc->mode == TC_PORT_LEGACY) call traces

On Thu, 25 Jul 2024, Francesco Poli <invernomuto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I had reported the bug to the Debian BTS (Bug Tracking System), where
> I was told to report the bug upstream, by contacting developers/mailing
> lists.
> Now on this mailing list, I am being told to report the issue on
> gitlab.freedesktop.org (which requires to register an account, in order
> to report issues)... Having to jump through all these hoops is beginning
> to be a little time consuming...   :-(

There are a number of reasons why email and mailing lists are really bad
for reporting bugs, from our perspective, which is why we've asked
people to report bugs to freedesktop.org bug trackers for about a decade
now.

If the right person doesn't have time to resolve the issue right away,
it'll likely be forgotten on the mailing list. Attachments aren't
welcome on mailing lists, let alone big logs. It's easier to label and
reference issues on a bug tracker. It's easier (yes, for us) to manage
the issues, and the people working on them, on a bug tracker. And so on.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel