Re: [RFC 4/7] drm/i915: Remove mkwrite_device_info

On 13/11/2018 11:45, Jani Nikula wrote:
On Mon, 12 Nov 2018, Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin@xxxxxxxxx>

Now that we are down to one caller, which does not even modify copied
device info, we can remove the mkwrite_device_info helper and convert the
device info pointer itself to be a pointer to static table instead of a
copy.

Only unfortnate thing is that we need to convert all callsites which were
referencing the device info directly to using the INTEL_INFO helper.

I'm not sure if that's all that bad. When I was toying around with
mkwrite_device_info removal, I actually started off with changing all
device info references to INTEL_INFO. It's a big patch, but it nicely
centralizes many of the other changes instead of splattering all over
the place.

Yes, but then you still need to splat all over the place to change the same use sites to RUNTIME_INFO or equivalent.

I'd actually like to see RUNTIME_INFO or similar macro as well, just to
be able to change the way it's handled later on.

I actually started of with introducing INTEL_RUNTIME_INFO but ended up backing off with that idea since it looked to "uppercasey". Not saying that the sprinkle of dev_priv->runtime_info.something is that much better, but at least it did not hurt my eyes so much. Don't know.. I am happy to go with popular vote here.

Regards,

Tvrtko