Re: Supporting Intel GPU tracing in gpuvis

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017, at 02:09 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Vetter (2017-09-06 08:46:50)
> > Hi Pierre,
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 11:15 PM, Pierre-Loup A. Griffais
> > <pgriffais@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hi Daniel,
> > >
> > > In the past couple of months we've been working on gpuvis, a GPU tracing
> > > tool similar to GPUView on Windows. It's lower level than other API-based
> > > tracing tools and lets you debug system-wide GPU scheduling issues, eg.
> > > interaction between several processes using the GPU, which is pretty
> > > critical for VR usecases.
> > >
> > > It's all based on ftrace; we've initially developped it with support for
> > > amdgpu, and had to patch the kernel code there to change what tracing events
> > > are reported and how. Now that we have a good idea of what's needed and it's
> > > more or less proven in production, we were wondering if you had any interest
> > > in adding a similar set of events for Intel GPUs so we could read them and
> > > present them the same way? We have pretty specific requirements, but this
> > > work-in-progress documentation should give a good idea of what they are:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/mikesart/gpuvis/wiki/Overview
>
> We already have those tracepoint equivs and a script to generate a
> similar visualisation: intel-gpu-tools/scripts/trace.pl, but only
> looking at the scheduling issue from the gpu pov. But it's really only a
> dev toy atm, plugging the gap between userspace and the gpu has been on
> the perennial wishlist.
> -Chris

I added Intel event visualization to gpuvis based on your trace.pl
script. Screenshot at the top of the wiki page here:

https://github.com/mikesart/gpuvis/wiki/TechDocs-Intel

In that screenshot the mouse is hovering over the ctx=30,seqno=1900 bar
which selects those events in the event list and shows a tooltip with
the submit, execute, etc info.

For the amdgpu driver, we're able to get the submit information from
user space and associate those events to specific processes. Example of
that is here:

https://github.com/mikesart/gpuvis/wiki/TechDocs-AMDGpu

If you ever get a chance to try gpuvis and have any feedback, we'd love
to hear it.  Also if you ever get userspace tracepoint data in, let me
know and I'd be happy to hook that up as well.

Thanks much.
 -Mike