Re: Supporting Intel GPU tracing in gpuvis

Hi Pierre,

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 11:15 PM, Pierre-Loup A. Griffais
<pgriffais@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> In the past couple of months we've been working on gpuvis, a GPU tracing
> tool similar to GPUView on Windows. It's lower level than other API-based
> tracing tools and lets you debug system-wide GPU scheduling issues, eg.
> interaction between several processes using the GPU, which is pretty
> critical for VR usecases.
>
> It's all based on ftrace; we've initially developped it with support for
> amdgpu, and had to patch the kernel code there to change what tracing events
> are reported and how. Now that we have a good idea of what's needed and it's
> more or less proven in production, we were wondering if you had any interest
> in adding a similar set of events for Intel GPUs so we could read them and
> present them the same way? We have pretty specific requirements, but this
> work-in-progress documentation should give a good idea of what they are:
>
> https://github.com/mikesart/gpuvis/wiki/Overview
>
> More raw details here:
>
> https://github.com/mikesart/gpuvis/wiki/TechDocs
>
> Even though VR is not really a factor there yet, we think supporting Intel
> GPUs could be interesting to your userspace driver devs. That tool is
> growing quite useful. We're also working with NVIDIA devs to get us similar
> data exposed from their stack, so it'd be good if gpuvis could 'just work'
> on all systems going forward.
>
> (Ian Romanick suggested I reach out to you first, but if you have a
> different set of people that should be included feel free to add them)

Yeah I'm not exactly the tracing/perf guy around here :-) Adding
relevant people who should be able to point you in a useful direction.

We already have a pile of tracepoints and there's patches floating for
global perf PMUs, but not sure what exactly you need.

Also adding mailing lists, better to discuss stuff in public.

Thanks, Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation