Re: Recommended installation method for new deployment

Am 18.07.2024 um 11:45:19 Uhr schrieb Fabian Pack:

> Now I am trying to figure out what the "most supported" way of
> installing a recent cyrus-imapd is. Many projects have either
> upstream packages or some preferred downstream distribution, but I
> can't figure this out about cyrus.

I recommend using the version that comes with your OS. Compiling is
possible, but will be much more work, than using dnf/apt.

> RedHat-derivatives have a very old version (naturally), Ubuntu LTS
> has 3.8.2, which is missing a CVE fix (and it is in universe and as
> such not really LTS supported). Debian stable has 3.6.x and in
> backports is 3.8.1, which suggests that it doesn't get updated
> regularly? Even Fedora has 3.8.1 for some reason?

Debian sometimes backports important fixes, although you might like a
rolling-release distro in your case.

> I wonder, is the recommended way to set up current cyrus to compile
> from source? Though the threads on this list suggest that this is not
> the main way to do it? I'd appreciate any suggestions or best
> practices. Ideally I'd like a setup where I can upgrade to 3.10
> easily, so if e.g. Ubuntu LTS stays on 3.8.x until the next LTS
> release in 4 years that would be a suboptimal choice for me.

Then don't choose LTS systems. They will do exactly that and most of
the time bugfixes won't be backported.

--
Gruß
Marco