Recommended installation method for new deployment

Hi,
apologies for this kind of question, but I am a bit lost after looking through the available distribution packages for cyrus-imapd and finding them to be very inconsistent.

I want to set up a new, small deployment; coming from dovecot but looking into cyrus for features like JMAP but also per-user mailbox partitioning and such. In any case, there is no preexisting cyrus deployment, so I am not bound to a specific version of cyrus or a specific distribution. Now I am trying to figure out what the "most supported" way of installing a recent cyrus-imapd is. Many projects have either upstream packages or some preferred downstream distribution, but I can't figure this out about cyrus. RedHat-derivatives have a very old version (naturally), Ubuntu LTS has 3.8.2, which is missing a CVE fix (and it is in universe and as such not really LTS supported). Debian stable has 3.6.x and in backports is 3.8.1, which suggests that it doesn't get updated regularly? Even Fedora has 3.8.1 for some reason?

I wonder, is the recommended way to set up current cyrus to compile from source? Though the threads on this list suggest that this is not the main way to do it? I'd appreciate any suggestions or best practices. Ideally I'd like a setup where I can upgrade to 3.10 easily, so if e.g. Ubuntu LTS stays on 3.8.x until the next LTS release in 4 years that would be a suboptimal choice for me.

Best regards,
Fabian