cyrus imapd ingestion of email

As I'm getting further into my first installation of cyrus imapd, I see that it uses LMTP to receive messages from the SMTP server. Is this the only way to get mail into cyrus imapd?

I'm currently running dovecot, and it works from mbox files directly. If I need to use LMTP, I need to figure out how to get that mail into imapd. Is there a utility somewhere for this?

-Jim