Re: Basic question: How to debug sieve scripts (e.g. via log file)?

On 08.12.2023 09:37, Marco wrote:
Am 08.12.2023 00:06 schrieb Binarus:

I have realized that Debian bullseye offers a package called
"dovecot-sieve" which contains a program called "sieve-test".
However, I believe that the dovecot sieve utilities cannot be used to
process or test sieve scripts for Cyrus imapd; please correct me if I
am wrong.

Sieve is a standard and Dovecot also implements it.

Although I dunno how sieve-test tests the sieve scripts and if that
will work with Cyrus.

The packages dependencies also show that it depends on Dovecot, you can
can't simply install it on your machine with Cyrus.

Eventually I could force apt to install it without its dependencies. Of course, chances are that it won't run then.

As another option, I could set up a VM and install dovecot with dovecot-sieve there. I'd be willing to take some effort to be able to debug sieve scripts that way if I knew that I could use the outcome at all.

But if the script in question fails for something that's specific to my Cyrus installation, or specific to runtime environment in general, e.g., missing permissions, testing the script with dovecot's sieve-test (or other external standalone programs) won't help at all. Therefore I'd really prefer to debug it in its native habitat.

Thank you very much,

Binarus