Re: CalDav Setup help

On 14/9/2023 17:06, bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I am curious about how to create a calendar that is not owned by an individual user.  Maybe create a calendar-user and share the calendar-user's calendar?

We do this at $dayjob with Cyrus. It's not in the documentation but you can see in this GitHub issue comment https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/2373#issuecomment-415738943 what you need to do from an interactive IMAP client. Copying here for posterity:

You must use an admin account to login to the server and then issue commands like these:

0000 CREATE #calendars (TYPE CALENDAR)
0001 CREATE #addressbooks (TYPE ADDRESSBOOK)

0002 CREATE #calendars/Shared (TYPE CALENDAR)
0003 CREATE #addressbooks/Shared (TYPE ADDRESSBOOK)

Just use . as separator instead of / if using unixhierarchysep:0

Then you have to grant users permissions individually to see the calendars. I have a Perl script that wraps around Cyrus::IMAP::Admin to do this from an Active Directory group.

Shared calendars are missing a few features that personal calendars have: they are not discoverable (that's what the GitHub issue is about); events on them can't have attendees; also I've never had reminders for them work.