Re: Authentication and authorization with OpenLDAP; hashed passwords

Patrick,
The solution with PAM is not found in your search because it's not really about PAM and Cyrus.  It's about PAM and LDAP.  Configuring Cyrus to rely upon system authentication & authorization services is rather easy, and the default for most Linux distros, for example.  Which raises an important point, what's your platform?  You haven't told us that -- which OS, which distro, etc.?  You've only told us that it's a small VM.

If you're using Linux then the most obvious choice for performing AAA against LDAP is via the System Security Services Daemon -- sssd.  Once you've got sssd configured to work with your LDAP, then your Cyrus, in a typical deployment, will Just Work.  So try this search, instead: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+sssd+ldap

An alternative, if your system doesn't support sssd is to use the older PAM/LDAP, described here for Debian: https://wiki.debian.org/LDAP/PAM

Either PAM/LDAP or sssd will provide both user & group info, via LDAP, which is then used by Cyrus.
For example, on a system using sssd, the 'id' command can be used to get group memberships for a given userID:
$ id nbernstein
uid=10006(nbernstein) gid=10000(Administrators) groups=10000(Administrators),6(disk),10030(SecOps),10020(pfsense-admin),10070(wheel),10073(libvirt),10072(lxd),10074(docker),20(dialout),10078(net-sim)

If you have specific requirements not met by either of those two options, then you should look into the ptloader with LDAP option, which relies upon a separate component, PTS, to handle the LDAP interactions.  I've not used ptloader, myself, so cannot speak to that.

Cheers,
    -nic