Multi-master replication (was: Re: Cyrus IMAP 3.4.0 released)

On 2021-04-20 6:24 PM, ellie timoney wrote:
Hi Anatoli,

Ellie, could you please let us, the users, know if the changes needed
to implement master-master replication are included in this release?

If it were clear to me that master-master replication was now safe, I would have listed it as a feature in the release notes. ;)

I'm not directly certain what is or isn't remaining to make this work, but, it's worth observing that even if the right code is now in place, afaik nobody has used it in this way, so I'm not going to tell people they should start relying on it.

If you're willing to experiment on the side, it might work with bugs (which can be fixed once found), or it might not be complete (and such limitations can be addressed once identified).  Either way, feedback from actual usage would be very useful!

But for production purposes, I would assume that 3.4 does not support master-master replication, and stick with the traditional replication schemes.

On 2020-12-14 2:05 AM, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> It's almost all good, the main problem is split brain recovery when you
> delete or rename folders - it could wind up reverting the change if a
> 'sync user' gets triggered by the other end.
>
> The last piece of the puzzle (yeah, 10 years later!) is going to be
> having proper tombstone records in the mailboxes.db including name
> history for each mailbox, so that we know whether a mailbox has been
> added or deleted.  The mailboxes-by-uuid work, which should be landing
> on master early next year, is going to add that.

Now that (as of 3.6.0) even mail storage is organized by UUID, it seems more likely than not that multi-master replication is at least extremely close.

I don't recall seeing any follow-ups from those who were intending to test 3.4.x.

Having never worked with Cassandane, would it be possible to build a test suite to validate multi-master replication functionality? If so, what would that look like?

--
Nels Lindquist
nlindq@xxxxxxx