Trouble with replication via IMAP

Good afternoon.

I'm configuring replication between two 3.6.1 instances.

Based on the example configuration files provided, I started with sync_server disabled in cyrus.conf on the replica, since IMAP replication has been supported since version 3.

However, I kept getting "sync_client connect(repl1.dom.ain) failed: Connection refused" errors. No firewall issues; direct connections to IMAP ports all work fine. Running sync_client manually from the commandline also fails with a connection timeout.

I configured sync_server in cyrus.conf on the replica and everything immediately began replicating. FWIW, I've tried with and without log channels. Both work fine as long as sync_server is running; neither work without it.

Any ideas?

Nels Lindquist
----
<nlindq@xxxxxxx>