Re: Cyrus IMAP error (?): "Undefined error 0" when receiving from Postfix

Hi,

> However, we noticed that while local delivery (from Postfix to Cyrus
> IMAP) via the Postfix lmtp daemon succeeds, it also logs this error:
>
>     "250 2.1.5 Undefined error: 0 ..."

I've already addressed this on the GitHub issue you raised (https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/4362) since I saw that first, but I'll provide a brief summary for the list too...

Cyrus is telling you (and Postfix) that it succeeded ("250 2.1.5"), with a human readable message based on whichever underlying error happened -- which in this case, no error happened, it succeeded, so the human readable message expresses success too.

On (some of?) the BSD platforms, the libc strerror() function expresses success in terms of there not being an error string for it, so you get the misleading "Undefined error: 0" in the human readable message.  On Linux, this says "Success" instead.  I guess it's just a little philosophical difference between what it means for there to not be an error.

It confuses people though, and I'd like for this to be fixed in Cyrus (extended discussion and history are on GitHub).  But in the meantime, knowing this quirk of your platform, you can just understand "Undefined error: 0" to mean "Success" anywhere you see it, Cyrus and elsewhere.

Cheers,

ellie