Re: Sync from 2.4.17 to 3.0.7 only syncs a small subset of folders

Hi,

On Fri, 2 Sep 2022, at 6:38 AM, guido-crmpd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
 syncclient       cmd="/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/sync_client -r"

This is a rolling replication.  A simplified explanation of this is that each time some action happens on a mailbox, that mailbox name is logged to the sync log.  The rolling replication monitors that log, and replicates the mailboxes it reports.  If nothing has happened to change a particular mailbox, that mailbox won't be in the log, and so it won't be replicated.

If you have only set up a rolling replication, then the behaviour you describe is as expected.  Rolling replication is intended for keeping an existing replica up to date with live changes, but not for an initial sync of a new replica.

To do a once-off replication of everything on the server, you can use "sync_client -A" to replicate all the user mailboxes (and other user data).  This will take a while; I suggest running it in screen or similar in case your ssh session drops out.  If you also have non-user mailboxes, you'll also need to use "sync_client -m [other mailboxes]" to replicate those too.  Please check the sync_client man page for full details.

On a modern Cyrus it is safe to run sync_client from the command line at the same time as a rolling replication is running.  On 2.4, I'm not so sure -- to be safe, I would first stop the rolling replication, then use sync_client -A, -m, etc until the data had been fully replicated once, and finally turn the rolling replication back on to keep it up to date.

Please note that 3.0.7 is also very old.  Once you've upgraded to 3.0.7, I suggest you then upgrade to 3.4.4, 3.2.10, or 3.0.17.

Cheers,

ellie