Sync from 2.4.17 to 3.0.7 only syncs a small subset of folders

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade my email server from CentOS 7 to something newer, obviously including upgrading the IMAP server from 2.4.17, shipping with CentOS 7, to 3.0.7. According to the documentation, this upgrade cannot be done by just copying over the spool directory to the new server, though, and instead has to be done using the replication mechanism.

I have set up the replication following the official guides here:

https://www.cyrusimap.org/2.5/imap/admin/sop/replication.html

and here:

https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/admin/sop/replication.html

On both servers, I added this to /etc/services:

csync           2005/tcp

On the old server, I added these lines to /etc/imapd.conf at the end:

#####
## Sync

sync_host: <ipv4 address of the new server>
sync_port: csync
sync_authname: cyrus
sync_password: <redacted>
sync_compress: yes
sync_log: yes

Again on the old server, I added the following line to the START section of /etc/cyrus.conf:

 syncclient       cmd="/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/sync_client -r"

On the new server, I added this line to the SERVICES section of /etc/cyrus.conf:

 syncserver       cmd="/usr/libexec/cyrus-imapd/sync_server" listen="csync"

After some fiddling with the login mechanisms, the login for the syncclient worked, and the synchronisation seemed to start. After a while of waiting, I would see messages like this in the logs for some of the mailbox folders:

Sep  1 05:30:27 mailweb3 cyrus/syncserver[1356]: mailbox: longlock user.guido.mailinglists.openssl for 6.0 seconds
Sep  1 05:31:54 mailweb3 cyrus/syncserver[1356]: mailbox: longlock user.guido.mailinglists.mariadb for 1.6 seconds

After waiting about a day, I can now see that the synchronisation has recreated 30 of my 91 mailboxes on the new server (according to the lm command in cyradm). Logging into the IMAP server with an email client, I can see that all the emails in the folders that have been recreated seem to be there, too, and in fact will stay in sync with the the old servers as emails are coming in. However, 61 of my mailboxes are just missing, with no visible explanation why those have been skipped while others have been copied. My sieve scripts have also not been copied over.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason for which mailboxes get copied and which don't. The ones copied are neither the largest nor the smallest mailboxes, neither the oldest nor the newest, neither the most recently active nor the longest dormant ones.

Can anybody help me with that? Why would the synchronisation recreate 30 folders out of 91 and then just randomly stop?