Re: Is it possible to migrate a single mailbox from cyrus 3.4.3 to 3.6.0~beta2-1 storage?

On 3/23/22 08:49, Andy Dorman wrote:
On 3/22/22 21:53, ellie timoney wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2022, at 12:53 PM, Andy Dorman wrote:
Hi Ellie. Something else has come up and I hope you or the Cyrus team
has a good solution cause I am at a loss.

We had a user with many thousands of emails (2GB+) on one of the servers
that was affected by the segfault.  While I was working the issue and
testing cyrus reconstruct to fix the mailboxes, one of our support
people helped this very busy user by creating a new mailbox for them on
the same server.

So now this user has a new mailbox using uuid storage (which Cyrus sees)
and their old mailbox (which Cyrus doesn't see) at
/var/spool/cyrus/mail/domain/B/redacted/S/user/redacted/

To clarify: does the new account have the same name as the original one?  Or does the new account have a new name?  In other words, could the two accounts sensibly coexist?

The new account has the exact same name.

So is there any simple way to move a single mailbox from the old to the
new uuid storage space?

This is what the missing relocate_by_id tool is for.  You could build Cyrus from source to get it, but if you can wait a little, I think it'd be less risky to wait for an updated Debian package that includes it.  Since presumably if you're using the Debian packages, then you aren't already in a habit of building Cyrus from source.

But a mailbox being in the old storage location is not a problem, as long as Cyrus expects it to be.  It sounds like from your previous success that reconstruct can figure out if it's in the wrong place and sort it out, so you'd only need the relocate_by_id tool for switching mailboxes to uuid storage when you're ready to.

I can not find the relocate_by_id tool and we use the debian packages. So I guess we will have until the debian maintainer includes it before we proceed to move the other addresses.

I think it will be fine with the user if we remove the new address that
was created yesterday so the conversion process has a clean starting
point to work with.

If the original and new accounts can coexist, then it might be enough to reconstruct the original one, like you did the other broken ones, to bring it back to life.  Then import any mail from the new into the original, and delete the new.

If they have the same name, and can't coexist, then it's more complicated.  You _might_ be able to delete the new account (using cyradm or similar), then reconstruct to bring the original one back in its place from the data on disk (... but maybe deleting the new account will find the data from the original one and delete that too, I'm not sure -- tread carefully, take backups).  If that works, you'd probably need to also run cyr_expire before the reconstruct to make sure the new account is really deleted, so it doesn't try to reconstruct the ghost of the new account instead.  And then, hopefully you got a backup of the new account before you deleted it, so that you can import the new mail back into the original once it's alive again.

At this point, you could theoretically use relocate_by_id to move the account to uuid storage if you wanted to (and if you had it) -- you should do so eventually, but it's not urgent.  Maybe the reconstruct will have already done that for you anyway, I'm not sure.

Though thinking about it, if the two accounts have the same name, maybe reconstruct can just sort it all out itself.  I'm not sure if you tried already, and it didn't work, or if you weren't sure and are asking first.  You could try reconstructing with the "-n" option so that it doesn't change anything, just reports what it would have done, and see if what it wants to do seems right.  I think the "-f" option would be useful here too.  If reconstruct is able to sort it out itself, that seems safer and less hassle than juggling a delete/import/etc.

Cheers,

ellie

Regarding your last paragraph, we have already tried reconstruct with -rfG options, but I think it only looked at the new uuid storage since the mailbox existed there by the time we ran it.

So I think we are going to try this: Anyone please feel free to comment if you think we are doing something stupid. ;-)

1. Archive the old mail dir using tar.

tar -zcvf jazzed.tar.gz /var/spool/cyrus/mail/domain/B/wildcats.com/S/user/jazzed

2. Use cyradm to remove the new jazzed@xxxxxxxxxxxx in the uuid storage.

3. Check to make sure jazzed is still in the old storage space. If it is missing, copy it back from the archive created in step 1.

4. Run reconstruct in the hopes it will find the address in the old storage space and reconstruct it in the new uuid storage space. This is what I believe happened in the other addresses.

Thanks in advance for any help/thoughts.

Well steps 1 and 3 above went OK and step 2 appeared to work...possibly too well.

However, nothing happens when I run reconstruct on user/jazzed@wildcats and Cyrus doesn't see jazzed in either the old OR new storage space.

This is what I see with cyradm...

localhost.ironicdesign.com> lm
DELETED/user/jazzed/623B3352@xxxxxxxxxxxx (\HasNoChildren)
DELETED/user/jazzed/Drafts/623B3352@xxxxxxxxxxxx (\HasNoChildren)
DELETED/user/jazzed/Sent/623B3353@xxxxxxxxxxxx (\HasNoChildren)
DELETED/user/jazzed/Spam/623B3353@xxxxxxxxxxxx (\HasNoChildren)
DELETED/user/jazzed/Templates/623B3353@xxxxxxxxxxxx (\HasNoChildren)
DELETED/user/jazzed/Trash/623B3353@xxxxxxxxxxxx (\HasNoChildren)

So I am not sure what to try next. Cyrus doesn't see jazzed in either the old or new storage format.

For now I suppose we need to recreate his new mailbox so he can still access his current email while we try to figure out how to recover his 2+GB of old email.

Too bad we can't just copy the old mail directories and files into the new uuid storage space and then run reconstruct.

--
Andy