Re: Migration from cyrus 3.4.3 to 3.6.0~beta2-1 failed

Thanks for your thoughts Ellie.

To answer your question and add some new info...

On 3/22/22 18:41, ellie timoney wrote:
Do the LMTP bounces happen for all users on those 3 servers, or only some?

- It was only some addresses that were bouncing after the upgrade and only on the servers that segfaulted during the upgrade. I wish I had thought ahead and set up for a crash dump after the first couple of servers.

If it's only some that are bouncing, I guess the mailboxes.db records for the bouncing mailboxes must have been missed by the conversion process when it crashed out.  I'm not sure what it means if it's all mailboxes bouncing.

Not sure how to confirm that the grandkids mailbox is in uuid except I
would assume that cyradm is searching the uuid storage space.

The mbpath(8) tool will tell you where it thinks they are.

And you got it in one! grandkids@xxxxxxxxxxxx is indeed in the new uuid storage space.

The good news... I have run 3.6.0~beta2 reconstruct on the problem addresses on the "problem" servers and that appears to have fixed them. At least lmtp can find them now and the users are able to log in and so far no one has reported missing email.

I don't know if this would be helpful at all, but a detailed postmortem indicates that actually 5 servers (i, k, l, n, r) out of 14 crashed during the upgrade. Only 3 of our servers (i, k, l) have the new uuid dir at /var/spool/cyrus/mail/uuid/.

It should also be noted that the lmtp and mail storage corruption appears to have only happened on the servers with the uuid storage.

FWIW, I can not find cyr_ls and cyr_cd.sh in the /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/ directory on any of our servers. I will contribute that note to the debian maintainer ticket.

Thanks again for all your work Ellie.

--
Andy Dorman
Ironic Design, Inc.