Re: backup imapd with TSM

Hi,

-- Hans Moser <hans.moser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> is rumored to have mumbled on 24. Mai 2007 16:51:39 +0200 regarding backup imapd with TSM:

Does anyone actually backup and restore Cyrus IMAPd with Tivoli Storage
Manager (TSM)?

yes, one of our backups schemes is that one. We also use Cyrus 2.3's unexpunge and the flashcopy feature our SAN system offers.

As far as my backup admin told me, the restore tool only shows file
names, I cannot see file content.

Correct.

So if user comes and tells
"I lost my email x from user y, which arrived 2 weeks ago."
I (obviously) cannot ask him about the filename. And cannot search the
backup store for user b's email address. :(

So? I don't see the problem. We only offer the service to IMAP users. POP users are on their own. If they don't back up, too bad. So if you know the date, you just get all files from that date back, excepting files that are already there. The numbers are strictly ascending and aren't reused, so it's safe to just restore those that aren't already there. Worst case the user will have a day's worth of spam to go through. Just don't forget to run reconstruct ...
--
Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK

----