Re: backup imapd with TSM

Hans Moser wrote:
Hi!

Does anyone actually backup and restore Cyrus IMAPd with Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM)?

We've use TSM coupled with the snapshot capability of our NetApp filer to do backups here. The system was automated for awhile with a simple web frontend, but some changes on the backend have rendered it manual again.

We restore the given mailbox( or mailboxes) underneath a heading called "restored", subscribe the user to it, set the permissions to be lrs for the user, and let them move the mail out that they want. After a fixed amount of time (two weeks) we then destroy the restored mailbox.

The procedure is roughly (using restoring my inbox (only) as an example):

1) Copy the info from tape to the location of the new mailbox

dsmc restore -ina /var/spool/imap/P/user/melson/ /var/spool/imap/P/restored/

2) Reconstruct the mailbox.

reconstruct -p default restored.melson

(I have no idea why I'm not using -f for this.. wrote the stuff months ago when I was still getting the hang of some of this so I may have simply not known any better)

Then you just set permissions as you would like, subscribe the user to the mailbox, and let them know that there's a restored mailbox waiting for them.

It's worked fairly well for us.

--
Matt Elson
Unix Systems Administrator