Re: default domain reverts to hostname?

On Oct 3, 2006, at 1:38 AM, Andreas Winkelmann wrote:
Am Tuesday 03 October 2006 02:09 schrieb Jo Rhett:

It may appear that the answer is
	servername: name I want to use for local realm

Any reason I shouldn't do it this way?  Any better way?

The value of servername is presented after Connecting to your server. If you
move the Configuration to another Server, the real Servername and the
presented can differ. If you can live with that, this is the easiest way.

I believe that this is exactly what I want. Mail server "netconsonance.com" is a fiction, currently implemented by host ....

You didn't tell us what you mean with Database. If you mean sasldb, there are
some ways to change the Realm in it. Dump it, change it and reload it.

Database is mysql. The gotcha is that the apps we use to maintain the data only know the fiction (netconsonance.com) and don't know (and shouldn't need to know) the hostname of the machine currently implementing the fiction.

I do wish that I could separate the presentation name from the default realm. I don't really need to change the name presented when connecting to the server, and having the actual hostname would be useful for diagnosis. All I really want to change is the default realm used when querying the backend database.

--
Jo Rhett
Senior Network Engineer

----