default domain reverts to hostname?

Okay, I know this was hashed out a while ago so I'm sure there's a good answer for it, but I can't seem to find this in the archives.

With virtdomains: yes, if you specify defaultdomain: mydomain.com, then what happens is that authentication against the database always sets the realm to $hostname.

This isn't a good behavior. What if the hostname changes? What if the tools used to edit the database don't know (or need to) the current system hostname?

Isn't there a way so that 'jrhett' or 'jrhett@${defaultdomain}' authenticate with sasl with a realm set to the default domain?
----