Re: Migrating from UW: Mailbox does not exist

Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 16:41 -0400, Jorey Bump wrote:
I have another server to migrate, and would like these subdirectories to be recreated properly during the process, as there are many more accounts to move. Has anyone else encountered this and found a solution?

how do you think imapsync can tell which folders should be created or
not?  wouldn't other users be annoyed about empty interim folders being
created?

imapsync is creating mailboxes in the namespace as long as they contain messages:

 UW: /home/jorey/archive/reports/mail  (mail is an mbox file)
 Namespace: user.jorey.archive.reports.mail

Resulting in:

 Cyrus: /var/spool/imap/user/jorey/archive/reports/mail/

What's missing is that imapsync doesn't create archive & reports as mailboxes (which may be the correct default behaviour, based on UW-IMAP's response). I want to find out how to translate these directories to mailboxes either in imapsync (if it's an option I've missed), or after the transfer with Cyrus.

By switching to Cyrus, I'm adding the ability to store messages alongside subfolders. After the migration, they still appear as part of the mailbox heirarchy in the client, but behave very differently than new folders that are created with Cyrus (the old UW ones are greyed out in Thunderbird, for example, and cannot hold messages, only subfolders).

They are also completely absent from the heirarchy in webmail (using squirrelmail), and there seems to be no way to make them appear, other than recreating the entire heirarchy under a temporary name, moving the messages, deleting the old parent, then renaming the temp parent to the old name. My users will be confused when these parents fail to appear in webmail, even though the children do.

After the migration, the only thing distinguishes these old UW directories is that they contain no cyrus.cache, cyrus.header, and cyrus.index files. Is there a way to force the creation of these files if they are missing in a directory?

I couldn't identify an option in the imapsync documentation or any way to apply this recursively to Cyrus mailboxes after migration. Any tips are welcome.

if you intend to use the folder to store messages in it, store at least
one message there.

I wish I could. Sadly, this is not possible with UW-IMAP. These are directories on the filesystem, and they can contain only mbox files and/or subdirectories. There is no way to store a single message, as is possible with Cyrus or Maildir. This is a limitation of the mbox format, which stores multiple messages in a single file.

----