Re: Auth methods

Michael Johnson wrote:
Hi all

I've been looking into upgrading a server and part of that upgrade was to remove a lot of system users who simply need IMAP/SMTP access to the machine and nothing more. Basically, I want to make /etc/passwd a lot smaller than it currently is.

I was browsing through the documentation on the web site and found:

"The Cyrus IMAP server comes with two authorization mechanisms, one for use with Unix /etc/passwd files, one for use with Kerberos."

 Do not mix authentication and authorization, the above talks about
authorization and it seems you need authentication.

Is there no way to use Cyrus IMAP with MySQL/PostgreSQL/BDB/other_non_db_source as an authentication source? If there is, could someone please point me to a web site with some details on how to make this work?

 It's possible. Authentication for cyrus-imapd is handled by the
cyrus-sasl library, which can authenticate users out of /etc/sasldb2,
mysql, postgresql (sqlite ?) and with the help of saslauthd  from
/etc/passwd, GSSAPI, ldap or any pam stack setup. See the docs for more
options (docs from cyrus-sasl and from cyrus-imapd) and search the list
archive for setup pointers.

mitu

----