Re: Auth methods

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Michael Johnson wrote:

Hi all

I've been looking into upgrading a server and part of that upgrade was to remove a lot of system users who simply need IMAP/SMTP access to the machine and nothing more. Basically, I want to make /etc/passwd a lot smaller than it currently is.

I was browsing through the documentation on the web site and found:

"The Cyrus IMAP server comes with two authorization mechanisms, one for use with Unix /etc/passwd files, one for use with Kerberos."

http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/twiki/bin/view/Cyrus/AuthorizationAndAuthentication

Is there no way to use Cyrus IMAP with MySQL/PostgreSQL/BDB/other_non_db_source as an authentication source? If there is, could someone please point me to a web site with some details on how to make this work?

I know this is possible, but I don't have the information myself. I use saslauthd + pam + pam_ldap for authentication here, but I don't have any experience with database backends for authentication.

	Andy
----