Re: Usage of services without IPv6 Support

On 19 Apr 2020, at 20:42, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Brian,

On 20-Apr-20 04:30, Stewart Bryant wrote:
I would prefer that in our day to day work we placed technical pragmatism before technology religion.

I completely agree, but our definitions of "religion" might vary. The argument for preferring IPv6-capable tools is not, I think, religious.

It’s not even “preferring” or if it is “better”.

It’s locking people out of the community if it’s not available. The argument from 10 or 20 years ago does not work anymore. There are people on IPv6-only without NAT64 (unless one uses a public one on the internet). These people currently have a very different view of the internet as most people but they are part of the global community.

It's reasonably clear to me that in practice, GitHub is "best" but purely due to preferential attachment (i.e. success breeds success). I certainly wouldn't suggest that it's technically best, and many aspects of its user interface are plain horrible.

It also comes with Terms & Conditions.

/bz