Re: Usage of services without IPv6 Support

On 2020-04-19, at 17:53, Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can we start with: https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/git/about/ ? What type of unique thing GitHub has that justifies continuing using it in detriment to other SaaS that already have full IPv6 support ?

Github has an audience that nobody else has.

If the objective of the github repo is to open communication lines to actual developers; these are overwhelmingly on github; using another service just misses the mark.

For other projects, gitlab etc. work well, too, but do require some additional learning for people who work on more than one project at the time.  There is no institutional bias against those services; I have participated in IETF-related projects both on gitlab and on bitbucket (even with, shudder, mercurial).  It’s just not the default choice.

Note that we are not talking about a company that routinely engages in criminal behavior (you know who I’m talking about; do not discuss this here as it is off-topic), but a service that merely hasn’t got around to enabling IPv6.  This is ugly, but not the original sin.

Grüße, Carsten