Re: Presentations are bad (Re: IETF 107 Virtual Meeting Survey Report)

On 4/18/20 12:05 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:

The issue is whether the use of f2f meeting time to do presentations is a wise use of that very expensive time.
Yes.  And most people agree there is no answer to that question unless you consider whether a specific presentation actually helped advance the business of the WG.  (Note that there are also useful and bad discussions, same thing.)

I don't know who "most people" are, but I don't think you've established that.  And I think it's still missing the point somewhat.   Say a chair decides that a particular presentation is likely to be useful at advancing the business of the WG.    The important question then becomes, should that presentation take up precious f2f WG meeting time that could otherwise be used to identify salient issues or get closure on some issues?  Or would it suffice to ask participants to view that presentation outside of f2f meeting time, and free up that time to engage in discussion with the hope of getting closure?

I generally view the task of a chair in planning f2f WG sessions at a plenary meeting as:   How to get closure on as many important/thorny issues as possible, during that week of opportunity for high-bandwidth interaction?   And that involves making use of not only f2f meeting time but also the time between meetings.

A narrated slide deck can in itself already be a good presentation (while a slide deck usually isn’t, unless it is not actually useful for a presentation).

I have rarely seen a face-to-face or videoed narrated presentation, on a technical subject, that the same information couldn't be conveyed in about one-sixth the time it took to watch the presentation, simply by outlining the high points in text or as images or maybe an occasional animation.   There are exceptions, of course.   But again, what makes the f2f meetings worth having is interaction, not one-way presentation.   The ability of participants to ask clarifying questions or point out problems is useful, as is the ability of the speaker to get verbal and nonverbal feedback from the audience.    But that face-to-face time is very expensive, both in terms of what it costs the participants and/or their sponsors, and also in terms of what it costs the WG in its ability to get timely closure and publish documents while they're still helpful to the Internet community. So it makes sense to use that time judiciously.   If WG participants were expected to read or watch brief presentations prior to the f2f meetings, and perhaps to submit feedback in writing before the meetings, thus freeing up meeting time to actually answer those questions and have discussions, would that allow WGs to get more done in the time they have?   Based on my own prior experience, I believe it would.   But it might require the community to get used to doing things a bit differently.

Of course in the near term most of this discussion is moot, since it's likely to be well over a year before it's safe to travel and meet again.

Keith