Re: Presentations are bad (Re: IETF 107 Virtual Meeting Survey Report)

On 4/17/20 11:22 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:

On 2020-04-18, at 03:26, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 4/17/20 9:21 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:

I wish we could squash that indiscriminate “presentations are bad” meme.
I wish we could squash the notion that face-to-face meetings should be filled with presentations, with only a small amount of time left for discussion.
We’ve been through this 500 times before.  If somebody reminds people that presentations are useful, this scare crow is always cited as the inevitable outcome.  It’s not, folks, and the point is that we want to have the productive presentations and not the unproductive ones (where productivity is measured in the progress made in the ensuing discussion).

I find this way of framing the discussion ("presentations are good/bad") unhelpful because a back-and-forth ("are not", "are too") isn't going to reveal the subtleties required to make meetings more effective.

My point in bringing this back up is simply this: since we now have to meet differently, at least for a while, it might make sense to try to think about the most effective way of doing virtual meetings.   Carrying over habits from face-to-face meetings might not serve us well, especially since (IMO) those habits didn't serve us that well for face to face meetings.
Instead of re-hashing this age-old thread, I’d rather focus on the new tools we have available now.  Moving a whole university to digital tends to sharpen one’s mind on these.
(My wife, with her 40 years of university teaching experience, just uploaded her first narrated slides this week, and that may indeed be a tool we want to embrace.)

yes, precisely, and good example.

Keith