From: ietf <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx> on behalf of Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, 15 April 2020 at 20:31
To: John Wroclawski <jtw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Carsten Bormann <cabo@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@xxxxxxxxx>, IETF <ietf@xxxxxxxx>, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: COVID-19 contacts tracker (Re: a brief pondering)

    John, Carsten,

    > On Apr 15, 2020, at 10:13 AM, John Wroclawski <jtw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    >
    > ….
    >
    > I think the existence of these things, and the speed they’re moving at, pretty much validates Carsten’s observation that:
    >
    >> On Apr 15, 2020, at 12:25 PM, Carsten Bormann <cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
    >> (1) We are not fast enough.  (Some of us are, but as an organization we aren’t.)

    Yes, but I think it’s a mistake to think that this is a one time thing and that it will be done anytime soon.   We shouldn’t get in the way of what MIT/Google/Apple/etc. are doing in the short term, but I do think there is long term value developing something in the IETF that will prepare for the long term.   That has a reasonable balance between tracking for medical vs. political tracking.

    Until there is a vaccine this will reoccur, and other pandemics will happen.

    Bob