Re: Out for discussion: draft-leiba-ietf-iana-registrations

Hi, Larry, and thanks for the comments.

(1) This document only deals with registrations coming from IETF documents — working group products and AD-sponsored individual submissions — and it says that (I guess not clearly enough, and Nico is going to suggest text to improve it).  These are being published as RFCs in the IETF stream.

Registrations done by other means are not subject to this at all.  That includes any FCFS registrations or Expert Review registrations or Specification Required registrations that are not in IETF RFCs.  Not covered here.  Also not covered here are registrations coming from RFCs in the Independent stream (which includes April 1st RFCs).

(2) This does not cover how to change ownership.  It’s only specifying what to do for new registrations.  We hope that by setting change control for IETF registrations with the IETF, it will be less often necessary to change it.

(3) The document acknowledges that there will be reasons to do other than what is specified here, and provides for ADs to allow differences when it makes sense to do so.

I think that covers all your examples.  If you think any of this is unclear in the document, I’d appreciate suggested text to improve it.

Barry