Re: Out for discussion: draft-leiba-ietf-iana-registrations

Barry,

Deliberately not replying to any one specific message...

First, it seems to me that trying to rationalize the situation
with registrants, change controllers, etc., is a good idea.  At
the same time, given that we have managed to muddle along with
problems of not having clarity about responsible parties,
changing contact information, and so on for 40-odd years, it is
not clear to me why the problems are urgent enough to justify
taking up IETF time and apparently putting it on a fast track
right now.  I note, for example, the immediate and future NomCom
eligibility efforts as being far more important.  Those
considerations lead me to some sympathy with those who are
suggesting this should have gone to GENDISPATCH (too late now,
but maybe something from which we can learn for whatever the
"next time" turns out to be) and with procedural concerns.
Ordinary individual submissions usually remain in "I-D Exists"
state even after there has been discussion on the IETF list and
the IESG (or a relevant AD) has decided to push the discussion
off to another list.  For them, the information changes to
identify a sponsoring AD only when the document is close to Last
Call.  I noticed today that this one is already in "AD is
watching" state, with a sponsoring AD assigned, in the
datatracker.  Not a serious problem, IMO, but something that
further confuses the question of whether this is your individual
effort or one you are moving forward on behalf of some or all of
the IESG.

Putting that aside and looking at the substance of the document
(including the various changes that you have queued), I'm still
not sure I fully understand what problem you are trying to
solve.  As an example, consider one of your examples:

   IETF <examplewg@xxxxxxxx>

Now, clearly, that puts the IETF's mark on things but so, to
some degree, does "ietf.org" in the address.  As far as I know,
while the recommendation has gotten ever-stronger over the
years, we still don't require WGs to use mailing lists based at
ietf.org and, at least equally important, we sometimes
consolidate mailing lists associated with concluded WGs.  If one
is worried about stable contact information, we could take two
examples from our distant past.   Had either produced IANA
registries, one would not want to list the mailing list for YAM
as the best contact point (in spite of that list still
receiving, archiving, and distributing mail), nor would it be
wise to list 822ext as either
   IETF <ietf-822@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
or
   IETF ietf.cnri.reston.va.us:~/ietf-mail-archive/822ext/

I understand that you are talking only about new registries
going forward, but the reality is that these things do change.
I note particularly the suggestion about use of a "directorate
or area-wide mailing list" in combination with our tendency to
periodically consolidate or drop areas and invent new names in
the process.  Expanding the number of things that we need to
keep stable for as long as IANA registries exist (and the IETF
does) is probably not a good idea for just those reasons.  The
document actually makes that point in requiring that contact
information not be published in RFCs [1].

Assuming the goal of this document is to clarify what is going
on rather than  simply to create consistency for its own sake
and/or to create more procedural hoops for WGs, document
authors, and shepherds to jump through for anything this draft
considers unusual -- thereby creating more delays in document
evaluation and processing -- let me suggest a simpler and less
ambiguous strategy going forward:

(i) For "registrant" or "contact" no change and no need to
mention either in this document other than to specify that
"IESG" (which is inherently transient except insofar as the
changing membership makes decisions reflecting IETF consensus or
on behalf of the IETF) MUST NOT appear.  Even that may be a
problem that does not need solving at the BCP level.

(ii) For registries and registrations that really are the
responsibility of the IETF for either additions or changes,
require that the Change Controller field appear and that it be
listed as "IETF".  Not "IETF" and some mailing list, but "IETF".
WGs are by definition transient so, while they might be
registrants and perhaps even (for a while) contacts, they should
never be listed as change controllers.   Using the Applications
Area and the Real Time one as very handy examples, Areas are
transient too and the same considerations apply.

(iii) If a WG document that specifies a registry or registration
specifies, e.g., a WG Chair as registrant, it is entirely
appropriate for that to be questioned by the WG, during IETF
Last Call, or by the document shepherd or IESG review, but it
does not seem to me we need a BCP-level document to say that.

I don't think anything else is going to reduce confusion or
improve contact information more than that suggestion would.  It
appears to me that what the proposal in the I-D would likely do
is to increase the workload on both IANA and the IESG (or
designees of the latter) every time we reorganize Areas, close a
WG and/or decide that concluded WG mailing lists should be
consolidated or moved to another location, and increase the
pressure on IANA to do outreach to keep addresses up-to-date
that they now correct only on an as-needed basis when things are
brought to their attention.

That requirement for a "Change controller" entry in registries
or registrations created under IEZTF respoonsibility probably
would benefit from an update to BCP 26/ RFC 8126, but I see no
reason why that would be problematic.

thanks,
   john

[1] Section 2, paragraph 3 starting with "In any case...".
And, btw, that statement sounds a lot like a RFC 2119-style MUST
NOT unless you intend that the IESG be able to make exceptions
to that too, in which case a SHOULD NOT might be appropriate.
We also put "mutable email addresses into immutable RFCs" all
the time: email addresses are the only contact information other
than personal names that we still require in I-Ds and RFCs.