Re: Out for discussion: draft-leiba-ietf-iana-registrations

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 12:52:24AM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> I also have this concern.   There are some individual submissions for
> non-IETF consensus specifications (sometimes vendor specifications) that
> have IANA registries, and at least on some occasions this situation is
> desirable.    If the document is an IETF consensus document, then IETF is
> probably the right choice, but I can imagine scenarios in which it's not.

The absolutely minimal change to Barry's I-D needed is to not impose
this "IETF is the registrant" requirement when IETF consensus is not
required by the registry, and, if the registration request comes from an
I-D, it's not one requiring IETF consensus (e.g., it targets publication
as Experimental or Informational via the ISE).

That and the addition of a stronger justification.

Nico