Re: [removed] to Serve as RFC Editor Future Development Program Chair

Hi Wes,
At 04:37 PM 31-03-2020, Wes Hardaker wrote:
In general, I'm always happy to voice my personal opinions on matters.
I can't, unfortunately, talk about things that I'm not supposed to
(e.g. things received in confidence, which includes non-public email,
conversations and, of course, executive sessions), or about things that
I have no personal knowledge about.  What happened before my time on the
board started, or what happens in RSOC, both of which fall into the
above category I can't help with unfortunately.

I read a document about the Internet Architecture Board. If I understood the English correctly, it means that an IAB member doesn't have any duty towards any organization. It is up to the person to decide whether he/she wishes to express an opinion as Person X or Person X, IAB member. For what it is worth, I don't find it convincing when a person uses the former on this mailing list and the latter outside the IETF.

[I'll note that all of the IAB's executive session discussion topics
are on the published agendas, and in at least all the sessions I've
participated in we've only discussed those topics and it's not used as a
free-for-all discussion of anything, which is critical (IMHO).]

I would not ask you about "executive sessions" as I have some experience of how that type of session works. There are different schools of thought about what should be minuted once a committee exits the session. I'll ask you a difficult question; is an e-vote confidential?

On March 4, the IAB discussed an agenda item about "Program Chairs". There isn't any information under that item (it's the latest minutes) which explains why the IAB decided to go with one Program Chair. I asked Jari about that. I don't know whether the lack of reply is because he is busy or because of an unwillingness to comment about that topic on an open mailing list.

Over in the ICANN land, I've pushed heavily for open and transparent
meetings for the last few years.  I'm firmly in your camp of "everything
that can and should be open should be".  Unfortunately, when it comes to
collecting and discussing private feedback for appointments, which is
something the IAB spends a lot of meeting time doing (I've learned in
the last year), that can't really be done as transparently and is one of
the reasons the nomcom appointment process to the various bodies exists.

I don't follow what goes on in the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers on a regular basis as I have other free work which takes a significant amount of my time. I don't believe that it makes sense to push for some other organization to be open and not do the same thing in here. I would give you credit for commenting on this mailing list.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy